Product Information Management
The flexibility of the Picturepark Content Platform and its ability to work with file-based and file-less content makes it an ideal choice for new product information management (PIM) initiatives, or for complementing existing PIM systems.
There is more than manufactured products: Reference projects, service portfolios or consultants need all be managed as ‘products’.
Product Information Management (PIM), sometimes also referred to as Product Content Management (PCM) or Product Data Management (PDM), describes the processes through which companies create, manage and distribute the information that is required to sell products through sales channels.
The primary value PIM offers is consistency, accuracy and completeness of product data. PIM systems help make sure product data is centrally retained, verified and available where and when it is needed. And if changes are made, those changes are reflected globally to “downstream” systems.
The need for a Product Information Management system for companies that manage thousands of products available in many markets and languages is evident.
No less important is PIM for companies that make fewer products, are organized decentrally or where reference projects, services offerings or consultants are the “products”. These organizations are less likely to have reliable PIM in place, due to cost or resource limitations, or lack of awareness.
However, when handling products in a spreadsheet, companies miss the benefits of accessibility of such master data to other users and systems who need it, and must rely upon for accuracy and completeness, and risk that ever new “personal” spreadsheets are built decentrally that rapidly become outdated.
Manage all Product Content
The Picturepark Content Platform enables companies to start, manage and maintain product information management initiatives that work for any size. For example, if you sell a few hundred products mainly via digital channels, then the Content Platform could be all you want because you don’t need a system designed to manage a 1000+ pages product catalog.
Some of the PIM capabilities the Content Platform provides:
- Capture all relevant product data through meaningful schemas, as required per brand or product family
- Create and manage any type of product content, from textual content, to PDF user guides and box inserts, to promotional images and social promotion videos
- Connect images and video to textual data and keep track of what belongs together
- Manage versions of product content, and ensure only accurate information is published
- Make product information manageable to permitted product managers
- Publish product content headless via websites or mobile apps, the way you want
- Pull product content from ERP systems and route it to CRM, or other systems
- Make product content available to sales and partner organizations directly within the Content Platform or via Microsite portal
- Automate the tagging of product content such as images and videos, and schedule it’s accessibility via various portals.
Picturepark enables you to build a PIM initiative that won’t overwhelm your budget or resources. It is a system that provides you with all the essentials of product information management and enables you to scale agile as per your requirements. And it is a system you can use for all content management, not just product data.
Picturepark used for PIM
A key advantage to using the Picturepark Content Platform for product information management is that you can carry out all the essentials of PIM in a single system that can do more than just manage product data
Connect Picturepark to your website and other marketing technology systems. Upload photographs for a new product into Picturepark and instantly match them up with product records, and make them available to permitted product managers, website editors, brochure designers, communication officers, partners and everyone else who needs access.
Or follow a common routing approach, where an upstream source like an ERP system provides certain base master product data, like SKU or EAN codes and market availability status, which then become enriched in the Picturepark Content Platform with promotional text, detail or component shots, brochures, manuals, training videos etc. – all categorized into families, applications, markets etc.
Such enriched product records are then routed to where needed, e.g. populating partner portals, e-commerce shops, websites and digital signage systems with engaging product content.
Working with other PIM Systems
If you’re already working with an established PIM system, you can connect Picturepark to provide additional functionality that the PIM might not support directly, or not good enough:
- Connect images and video to products and product families.
- Connect and relate product data with presentations or other sales and marketing content.
- Tag file content such as product images, videos, brochures or datasheets using Adaptive Metadata™ for improved findability.
- Route content between the PIM and other systems, like your ERP, DAM, websites or portals, or marketing technology systems.
- Publish Microsites to your corporate or partner websites that feature your products.
A safe choice
Product data comes in many different shapes and forms, and you don’t want to stop managing it because it’s file less or file-based, or it gets too expensive by either not managing it properly or managing it with too many bells and whistles. When using Picturepark, you get all the essentials to build and maintain a PIM initiative that works for you today and tomorrow, as a standalone system or part of a larger solution.
When reading more into the subject of PIM, you may find the following information regarding these topics useful: